Norwegian Forest cat Bengal mix—when the jungle and forest meet
At first glance, Norwegian Forest cats and Bengals have nothing in common except that they are felines, but these two breeds are more similar than you think. Even though they look nothing alike, their temperaments are not that different.
Untamed explains the most prominent features of these two breeds and qualities that the Norwegian Forest cat Bengal mix would likely have. You can also learn how to provide a perfect home for your new feline friend and keep them healthy and happy for years to come.
Bengal Norwegian Forest cat cross—the overview
A Norwegian Forest Bengal cross is a unique concoction of tiny tigers and fluffy mini lions. The results are usually stunning!
We'll help you understand what to expect from this adorable kitten by examining both breeds’:
- Physical features
- Essential care
Norwegian Forest cat Bengal mix size and appearance
A Norwegian Forest cat Bengal mix will be bigger than a regular cat, muscular, athletic, and pretty. That much is sure!
Source: Thien Phu Pham
The table below shows the distinctive traits of Bengals and Wegies:
Norwegian Forest cat characteristics
Bengal cat characteristics
A Wegie Bengal mix is a large kitty with a muscular physique and superb athletic abilities. Females are usually smaller than males, and their fur length can go from short to medium-length. The colours depend on the parents used in the breeding program, but the options are limitless given how many variants there are.
Since Norwegian Forests have paw and ear tufts, a Bengal Wegie mix may have this feature, too, often paired with slightly shorter fur, giving them pretty unique and charming looks.
Wegie Bengal cross temperament
Am I a Bengal or a Wegie? I’m having an identity crisis.
Source: Anton Darius
Norwegian Forests' and Bengals' temperaments are pretty similar.
They are loyal and affectionate, but they don't show it in the traditional ways. These kitties are unlikely to sit on your lap or cuddle with you for hours. While both breeds enjoy a pat or two, they prefer playing with their cat parents and interacting in more fun ways.
Bengals and Norwegian Forests are independent and undemanding, so they don't require constant attention. They are fine playing by themselves, provided you have created a stimulating environment for them.
Both breeds are active, especially Bengals, who need plenty of exercise. They love jumping and are exceptionally good at it. The difference is that if a Bengal decides to catch something, they probably will, while Wegies aren't as skilled. Even though mini lions and tiny tigers enjoy going out and playing in the water, don't let them roam around unsupervised. They can wander off and put themselves in danger.
If inquisitiveness is a sign of intelligence, then both breeds are brilliant, but with such a powerful mind comes a bit of mischief. You can expect some naughty playfulness from your Norwegian Forest cat Bengal mix (especially if a Bengal's genes are dominant). The good news is you can easily mitigate this by keeping your kitty entertained with interactive toys, food puzzles, perches, etc.
Besides being intelligent and playful, a Norwegian Forest cat Bengal cross is most likely to be energetic and not a typical lap cat. Once they bond with their cat parents, they will be the most loyal feline companion you'll ever meet.
A Bengal Wegie mix health
I exercise a lot. I climb onto everything and jump incessantly. That’s how I keep fit and stay healthy.
Source: Jez Timms
Mixed breeds tend to be even sturdier due to a wider gene pool. With proper care, a Bengal Norwegian Forest mix should live a long and happy life.
To be ready for anything and anticipate potential health problems, take a look at the common illnesses these two breeds are prone to:
Norwegian Forest cat
The two diseases these kitties have in common (and are also predominant) are:
- Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy—HCM is the most common heart disease in felines, prevalent in obese, older males
- Hip dysplasia—This condition is common in larger cats and can worsen considerably if your kitty is overweight
Luckily, these problems can be prevented and successfully managed by:
- Taking your kitty for regular vet checks
- Keeping your feline friend at a healthy weight
- Feeding them a high-quality diet
A Norwegian Forest Bengal mix lifespan
Bengal cats usually live between 12 and 18 years, while a Norwegian Forest's life expectancy is between 14 and 16 years. Mixed kitties often live longer than their parents, so a Bengal Wegie cross might live up to 20 years if you take good care of them.
A Wegie Bengal mix care requirements
If my offspring gets my coat, they will be lucky!
Source: Paul Hanaoka
Coming from two relatively low-maintenance breeds, caring for a Wegie Bengal should be simple.
Two focal points are:
Grooming your Norwegian Forest Bengal cat entails:
- Regular brushing—Depending on the shedding intensity of your kitty, you should brush them once or twice a week. Even if your feline has inherited Wegie's longer fur, it won't mat or tangle easily, so you probably won’t have to do it more often
- Occasional bathing—You will likely have a bigger problem getting your Wegie Bengal mix out of the water than getting them in. Keep in mind that bathing them too often can disturb their skin's PH values. Unless your kitty gets dirty, you should bathe them every six to eight weeks
- Teeth cleaning—Gum issues and teeth resorption are common in felines, especially as they age. Preventing dental problems is easy with regular teeth cleaning. It would be best to do it every day
- Nail trimming—Your kitty should file their nails on their scratching post, but if you notice their claws are becoming too sharp, you must trim them. Use special cat clippers and only cut the very tip of the claw
Purebred or mixed breed, all felines need an abundance of meat and fish.
Image (c) Untamed
A well-balanced diet is crucial for keeping your kitty healthy and happy. It can help prevent many medical problems or keep them under control if the symptoms appear. High-quality meals and controlled portions can also keep your kitty at a healthy weight and prevent diabetes, liver disease, hyperthyroidism, etc.
Check out the table below to see what a well-balanced diet is:
Why is it important?
Meat and fish are the best sources of essential amino acids (such as taurine, lysine, and arginine) crucial for:
Animal fat provides great taste and delivers healthy fatty acids that:
Vitamins and minerals
Felines get all their vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants from meat and fish. These micronutrients are crucial for all bodily functions, and they:
Freshly caught prey provides enough moisture, so cats don't naturally have a strong drinking drive.
Make sure your kitty gets enough water through food because dehydration leads to:
Wet food is the best way to go. High-quality jellies and gravies have a larger meat and fish content than dry food and are usually not highly processed. Wet meals are much more hydrating, with over 70% moisture (as opposed to about 10% in dry food).
Kibble is suitable as an occasional meal as it can help remove tartar buildup from your feline’s teeth and assist in maintaining dental health.
Keeping your Norwegian Forest cat Bengal mix healthy with Untamed
Untamed is all your kitty needs to be healthy and happy.
Image (c) Untamed
- Full of animal protein—Our dishes contain twice as much protein as most commercially sold products. We don't experiment with animal derivatives or other ingredients potentially harmful to felines. We only use human-grade whole meat and fish, including:
- Chicken breast
- Chicken liver
- Duck breast
- Tuna steak
- Salmon fillet
- Mackerel fillet
- Low in carbs—Untamed products are free from filler ingredients, such as grains, vegetables, and sugar
- Vet-formulated—We collaborate with vets to ensure your kitty's biological needs are met, whether they are a kitten who has started eating solids, a neutered, spayed, or intact adult, or an older cat struggling with keeping their muscle mass
- Allergen-free—We avoid artificial colourants, taste enhancers, additives, and known allergens, such as dairy, beef, and eggs
Getting Untamed for your feline friend
Ordering healthy meals for your kitty online is easy with Untamed.
All you need to do is:
- Visit our Try Now page and share some info about your cat
- Customise a meal plan
- Place your order
The trial pack will arrive in a day. Once your Bengal Norwegian Forest cat samples all the delicacies and picks their faves, we can send you a fresh batch every month.
You can change, postpone, or cancel your subscription at any time.